Barstool Buying Guide
Because our barstools fit any height, style & budget.
Ever bought a barstool on a whim and returned home just to find it doesn’t quite fit? It may seem tricky, but no matter how you measure, these tips will help you make sure you pick the perfect fit the first time and save a return trip.
Step 1: Measure Your Counter or Bar
* Before you head to the store, measure the height from the floor to the top of the counter or bar.
* Measure twice for accuracy!
* Now, see how your bar or counter stacks up:
Pro-Tip: Picking the Right Height if You Forgot to Measure
- Picture your kitchen. Envision yourself standing at the sink and where on your body the counter hits you.
- For someone who is 5’ 7”, the top of a counter will hit at about the hipbone and the top of a bar will hit at about the waist.
Step 2: Pick Your Stools in Store
* Take the height of your bar or counter and subtract 10”, giving you the best height for your barstool, allowing you to sit comfortably, with or without your legs crossed.
* Measure the barstool you’ve got your eye on from the floor to top of the seat.
* Now, see if it’s the right size for your home:
Pro-Tip: When measuring a barstool, stop at the top of the seat! Don't count the chair back when measuring the height of your stool.
Now that you have the right height, check out some of these options in styles ranging from modern to vintage that are sure to fit any budget.
Counter Stools: 24 - 26 in
Bar Stools: 27 - 31 in
Adjustable Stools: Fit Both Bar And Counters
Pro-Tip: Does your counter or bar see a lot of traffic? Consider purchasing an oversized barstool. They come in both counter and bar heights, but are commercial grade with bigger seats and a higher weight capacity.
Bonus: How Many Barstools Do You Need? How to Measure Width
* Ensure there are 28” between the centers of each barstool.
* There should also be 14” between the center of the last stool and the edge of the bar.
With these tricks at your fingertips, buying a barstool should be easy and require only one trip to At Home! Once you’ve decked out your bar, be sure to share it with us using #AtHomeFinds.
Remember to check out our wide selection of barstools!